Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Childhood Memories of Summer

Well I challenged the members of the 60 Days of Birds to write about their favorite childhood summer memories.  So here are a few of mine and mostly in list format, in it's unedited glory!

I just stepped outside to take Oliver to do his nightly chores and a bunch of bats swooped down near my head to gobble up the mosquitoes that are very thick right now,  in an effort to avoid the bats I walked straight into a lightening bug.  Oliver doesn't understand lightening bugs.

These are some of my favorite things about Summer!

Fresh corn on the cob, straight from the garden, two minutes in boiling water, seasoned only with salt and pepper.
Tomatoes fresh from the vine, I love myself a big gnarly looking Brandywine it's sweet juicyness oozing everywhere, still hot from the afternoon sun, cut right there while standing in the garden and seasoned only with salt and pepper.
Lightening  bugs and sparklers.
Orange dreamsicle bars.
Watermelon and with the seeds please!
Spending hours with my mother picking blackberries, black raspberries, gooseberries, mulberries, wild plums and cherries in the fence rows along creeks and rivers.
Camping.  But I don't miss poison ivy or poison oak.
Going fishing with my mother.
Riding my bike for what seemed like forever with my friends.
Playing in the fence line a mile behind our house, there was a huge creek in the middle of that fence line, I still remember collecting all sorts of artifacts, rusted bottle tops, blue glass bottles, and fresh water clam shells.
Going craw daddying with  mom for dinner and coming home with turtle instead.
Sitting for hours watching the birds build nests in the trees.

Those are just a few of my favorite things.



No comments:

Post a Comment